Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Cause We Rock, We Rock On!" Well, about that...


So S lovingly gave me the Camp Rock soundtrack to borrow and import. So I'm listening to it. And I can't help myself, I'm bored so I must review. Because I eventually want to be a reviewer. I kinda think I'm a little too thorough and critical. But eh. Whatevs.

First off, with a bang, "We Rock." Now I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm pretty sure that this song is from the end. I hate a soundtrack out of order. Ugh. It just makes me mad. Keep it in order, fools! But I digress. The song is pretty good, the chorus is very nice. At first I was like, we rock? Uh, ok? But now, I really really enjoy this song. Very catchy, and collective and makes me smile. Plus I can probably get the main lines in it in everyday life. And let's just say the second verse, when Kevin sings? Orgasmic. I want to die. Seriously, that boy needs to sing more. One thing I don't like is that you can barely hear Joe Jonas. I mean, I love Demi Lovato, but I get it. You have a killer voice. Give Joe a bit more? Thanks.

Onto "Play My Music." This was the song that I was seriously waiting to be released. Fun, fun song. It really is nice. To me, it doesn't exactly seem like a Jonas Brothers song, but oh well. It's a Connect Three song. But I still am not sure on how I feel about people talking about music while playing music. I don't know. It's totally catchy. One thing I must laugh at: probably half the audience watching or listening does not know what a six string is. I love it.

Thirdly, "Gotta Find You," Joe's lovely ballad. Well, everyone else can say lovely. Not me. Sorry, but Joe Jonas is just not good at a ballad. Stick to the rockier stuff, and let Nick rock the ballad. I'm sorry, but the whole song is really cheesy. Of course I don't know how any of these songs fit in the movie unfortunately, so I may be a little biased. I might like these songs a lot better once I know where they fit. But to me, this song is a little too slow, a little too lovey-dovey. It annoys me. I'll probably have more on each song when I review the movie. But for this song, I mean, I like that whole, "you're the reason I'm singing" but I just don't know, Joe Jonas would not be good as a solo artist. He's simply not strong enough. Sorry Joe. (Note: I still find myself singing along, so this song can't be that bad. It's no "When We Were Me and You" or whatever by Hudge Pudge in HSM 1. I can't stand that song. UGH.)

Onto "Start The Party." It can be very catchy at points, but I think the way I first listened to the whole thing ruined it. It was that stupid video on Disney. That video was ridic. And this song is alright. I like the "start, start, start the party" part, but well, for the rest of it, it falls flat. It's a little too hip-hop-y for me. I'm very critical with that. Also, a part definitely sounded like High School Musical 2's "What Time Is It?". Come to think of it, the rythym is very similar. But "WTIT?" is a lot better.

Finally, to me, a worthwhile song, "Who Will I Be?" I loooove the music. I really want a just instrumental song. This is an awesome Demi song. It sounds like someone young wrote it, but still old enough to know how to write. I mean, it's uplifting and fun, but yet it works with that identity crisis people this age have. And really, I love the music. I need an instrumental edition. Ah, must go look now. But Demi really rocks in this. I enjoy her voice a lot in this. I love singing along with her. I just love it. I think it was the first song that I was like, YES! Well, other than "Play My Music" but I had heard that a bunch of times before I listened to the cd. Overall, good.

Now, "This Is Me." Personally, the song is a lot better acoustic(which can it really be construed as acoustic? I don't know.). The acoustic version is slower, and more personal, and really hits home to me. I enjoy it more. But I still enjoy the regular version. I've felt like this song so many times. It's so pretty. I can definitely tell "Who Will I Be?" is pretty damn close to the beginning of the movie, and "This Is Me" is Demi's ending song, especially Joe is just randomly singing his ballad "Gotta Find You" in here. And they really do complement each other. I just wish Joe was louder, just like in "We Rock." But well, Demi has a really strong voice, so most are shadowed by her. The song is pretty good normal, but incredible acoustic.

Okay, onto "Hasta La Vista." Very rap-y, which to me, is just eh. I like dancing to it, but I mean, for Disney? Eh. And then randomly putting in spanish is a little lame to me. The song is kinda too pretentious for me. I mean, these people are rapping like they are God's gift, and seriously, they're on Disney. Definitely not the pinicle of rap stardom. Disney sometimes tries too hard to be "hip." I think this is one of their most obvious attempts. It's got a good rhythm and beat, but I mean, the words are little annoying. But I know if it's on in S's car, I'll be singing along.

"Here I Am" is next, which is by the actress Jasmine Richards, but I'm pretty sure she isn't singing. The voice definitely doesn't match the girl. But anyways, it's a nice song, but just simply not strong enough. I mean, this song should be scream sung. I want to like, send it to Paramore or something to rock it up and make it strong. They would make this song awesome. Disney obviously is promoting being yourself in this movie. Everyone has like, a song saying that. This sounds like a last song on like, Avril's cd or something. But even she would do a better job at it. I think the issue I have with a lot of these singers is they're just not strong enough for their songs. I'll elaborate on that later. I mean, this song says "scream until there's nothing left" or something along those lines, and this chick is barely singing. Belt it out, bitch.

Onto "Too Cool," which I love the lyrics and the music, and the beat...BUT Meaghan Jette Martin isn't strong enough. She's too soft for this song. I don't know if she is trying to be that high snobby voice or whatever, but I would have preferred this like half an octave lower. She gets close to it, but never there. I mean, I like the song, and I'll be singing along to it, but personally I think I would do a much better job at this song. Demi or Selena Gomez need to try out this song. I hope they do. I should tell them. I love multiple versions of songs. I just do.

"Our Time is Here," another Demi belter. I just love Demi's voice. It can be soft and light, but then she busts it out. I really like the "come on, come on, you know" part and the chorus is great. I could totally see this on her album. A very Demi song, and not as Disney as the rest. I seriously can't get enough of Demi. I love her. I need to meet her. Even though she's younger and to me that's a little weird, I think I'm cool with that. She looks older than she is, at least to me.

"2 Stars" from Meaghan Martin. This is a little better from "Too Cool," singing wise, but the rest, not so much. I like the song enough. Meaghan reminds me of a Britney type, while Demi reminds me of a Christina type. Was that meant to be? I don't know. But still. I kinda wish I knew where the hell this song fit into the movie, because that might make it a little bit easier to understand, but oh well. I do enjoy this song, but it takes a bit to adjust after "Our Time is Here." Meaghan is a little too buttercup for me.

"What It Takes" is I guess, the bonus song, like those songs like, oh I can't remember the names of them off of HSM. This is pretty good, I like the beat, and the voices melt together really well. I think I hear Jasmine Price, so I don't know. Or maybe it's someone else. I kinda changed the names of the people to just Camp Rock Cast because I think it's a little too confusing with all those random names. I did the same with HSM. I had like, Zac Efron and Troy. I should have done that or Hairspray too but I'm lazy. It seemed to work since I knew all the actors and such. Whatever. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, the song. Well, it's over on my ipod. And I just finally got the ending was "to make this beat flow." Now it makes a bit more sense. I had not a clue what they were saying before.

Overall, I really enjoy just the Jonas Brothers and Demi songs a lot. The rest are up to par for the most part, but like I said, some of the singers weren't placed with the right song. They needed a little more help. I heard that Meaghan had only been in a studio once before, so maybe that's to blame. She should re-record and get some lessons on how the songs should sound. I'll help her. She spends too much time with her mouth open I think. No, no, I don't think that was meant to be mean or derogatory(okay, it was...you got me) but every photo I have of her from that Camp Rock premiere, her mouth is open. Coincidence? I think not.

Overall? C+, B- at best. Demi gets an A, JoBros get a B, and the rest get a C.

(Note: My computer shut off after I finished this. I almost died. But it saved. We're okay. :) )

1 comment:

Sam said...

umm why do you have to be such a good reviewer
lol
after reading your review i was like um wow i agree with hers more than i agree with my own
that's bad
lol
i <3 you!